Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes


"I cannot say whether things will get better if we change; what I can say is they must change if they are to get better." ~ Georg C. Lichtenberg

Change – it’s a word we’ve all heard, probably too much, especially last year over the course of the Presidential elections. Every time we turned on the TV, some politician was talking about change and how “change is coming.” We all recognize areas in our lives where we need to make changes, but even more so, how often do we point out areas where others around us need to make changes, often pointing that out to them on a regular basis? But change starts with you.

My headline refers to the 1976 David Bowie song “Changes” – It’s a great song, and yes, I know…I was only 10 years old when it came out, but it’s still a classic. Here are a couple of verses from the song and the video to watch:



I still don't know what I was waiting for
And my time was running wild

A million dead-end streets

Every time I thought I'd got it made

It seemed the taste was not so sweet

So I turned myself to face me

But I've never caught a glimpse

Of how the others must see the faker

I'm much too fast to take that test


Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-Changes
Don't want to be a richer man
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-Changes
Just gonna have to be a different man
Time may change me
But I can't trace time


We can all make lists of areas in our lives that need changing, but too often we continue along our same path, repeating things over and over. Albert Einstein once said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”


You see, positive change requires vision. Do you have vision in your life? We often allow vision to guide us to begin something (let me give you an example…how about exercise?) You have this great vision for how you want to change your body. You create an image in your mind of what you want to do and even how you want to look. However, something comes along and takes your focus off of your workout, and suddenly your vision is left out of the picture. It takes constant vision to cause you to continually move in the direction you want to go. In other words, that vision kept in the forefront causes you to CHANGE.


Don’t forget to change it up! It is human nature to find a norm and get sucked into the same routine or comfort zone. When you find your comfort zone, you begin to relax. You need to constantly challenge yourself to go to the next level so you keep yourself motivated.


Change only what needs changing – don’t get in the way of progress. Allow what is working for you to continue without interference. Focus on the areas that need help and make changes there. If you think you need to change something, make sure the change you offer is better than what was offered before. Don’t try too many changes at once.


The workouts I feature on this blog are designed to “change it up.” Take what you can from each, and adapt to your own level and ability. Soon you’ll see your body and your health start Ch-ch-ch-ch-changing!

1 comment:

  1. I like the second to the last paragraph the best:

    "Change only what needs changing – don’t get in the way of progress. Allow what is working for you to continue without interference. Focus on the areas that need help and make changes there. If you think you need to change something, make sure the change you offer is better than what was offered before. Don’t try too many changes at once."

    GREAT advice. Sometimes people think they have to change everything and sometimes they think that any change is good, but change should be for the better.

    Thanks for continuing to post great information and motivation!!

    ReplyDelete